With over two and a half decades of experience serving environment and population, supported by the solid foundations of its shareholders – Mota-Engil and Urbaser groups – SUMA has been pursuing leadership and entrepreneurship since 1996, ensuring the top position in the Portuguese waste sector.
SUMA is the reference company in Portugal and in the international markets in which it operates, marked by excellence in all its operations: The company’s organizational policy is driven by the best environmental and governance practices, converging the emerging requirements of the sector, the expectations of stakeholders and customer needs, with the best efficiency solutions and investment in state-of-the-art systems.
Its permanent ability to adapt and innovate and the technical capacity of its human capital create a publicly recognized credibility, reflected in the certification of its management system and being the recipient of several national and international distinctions.
Present in 5 countries
and 4 continents based
on a global growth strategy.
as a way to increase
efficiency and effectiveness.
and social responsibility
and quality of life
of the populations served.
SUMA is dedicated to the global management of waste life cycle, resorting to innovation and technology as permanent allies, in anticipating trends and adapting to emerging needs.
SUMA’s structure and know-how allows the development of integrated and complete solutions, from planning and design to construction, implementation and monitoring, always aiming for improvement and sustainability.
SUMA results of the strategic association of fifty companies with broad and distinctive performance in Portugal and internationally in the field of waste management. This allows to strenghen and coordinate competences in its area of intervention and offer multiple solutions within full waste cycle.
The integration of several specialized operators enables the extension of the activities of SUMA far beyond the collection of waste, providing complementary services, such as treatment, laboratory analysis and quality control, and environmental education.
The articulation of synergies between the various companies favors logistics management of all equipment, responsiveness, enhancing the quality and competitiveness of service adding strenght to the operations.
With a global strategy in the waste sector, SUMA assumes a high level of commitment and participation in order to respond to ever-renewed challenges by increased demands of population, new regulations, constantly changing environmental issues and increasing market competition levels.
- Acquisition and presentation of fleet powered by natural gas, in Figueira da Foz and Coimbra.
- Launch of SUMA’s new website.
- SUMA achieves its fifth consecutive year as a “Environment Trusted Brand”, evidence of the importance of the services it provides to the population.
- SUMA becomes a pioneer in Portugal with mandatory use of helmets, reinforcing safety for workers.
- COVID-19 mitigation measures: creation of security protocols and distribution of PPE; whenever possible, implementation of teleworking on a rotation basis; creation of reserve teams; and facilitating access to tests and online medical appointments.
- Change of designation of Brazilian subsidiary from Consita to SUMA Brasil.
- SUMA awarded “Environment Trusted Brand 2020”.
- SUMA celebrates a quarter century of existence.
- SUMA takes environmental education to Oman, through technical consultancy services in this area.
- The company is recognised with an award for business excellence, “Best Waste Management & Collection Company – Portugal”.
- SUMA awarded “Environment Trusted Brand 2019”, for the third consecutive year.
- Investment of more than 6.5 million euros in renewal of the fleets for waste collection and urban cleaning, in centre region of Portugal.
- Begining of awareness activities to increase selective collection indicators in seven municipalities under the influence of Lipor.
- SUMA awarded “Environment Trusted Brand 2018” by Reader’s Digest, reinforcing recognition.
- Inauguration of the new Center for Treatment of Non-Hazardous Waste in Azambuja, by TRIAZA, a ceremony presided by the Portuguese Secretary of State for Environment.
- SUMA awarded “Environment Trusted Brand 2017” by Reader’s Digest, voted by public recognizing its credibility.
- Inauguration of ZOOURBANIDADE® mobile awareness unit, which explores citizenship concerning the use of public space and equipment.
- Start of the environmental education services for EGF.
- Renewal of the contracts in Batalha, Alcobaça and Ourém, surpassing two decades of continued services in these municipalities.
- Launching of the online interactive platform “Urban Animals”, which displays environmental awareness contents and games.
- ECOVISION (SUMA’s company in Oman) awarded a contract for waste collection, operation and maintenance of transfer stations and operation of landfill in South Al Sharqiyah, Oman, for a seven year period.
- Extension of CONSITA’s activity to the state of Rio Grande do Sul, surpassing one million people served in Brazil.
- Launch of ECO KIOSKO – an innovative structure conceived to convey best citizenship practices in a commercial and cultural context.
- Implementation of Interactive SUMAKids platform – online space that provides environmental education content.
- Acquisition of Empresa Geral de Fomento (EGF), holding company of 11 multi-municipal systems of waste treatment.
- Start of activities in Middle East – closure of dumpsites in Sultanate of Oman.
- Re-entry into the Brazilian market through CONSITA with public cleaning and waste collection services (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais states).
- Opening of the first lubricating oil regeneration plant in Portugal, by ENVIROIL, with capacity to treat 20,000 tons per year.
- SUMA broadcast environmental awareness contents through an interactive application (MEO Kids) in cable TV.
- Start of operations of solid waste collection and public cleaning in Sumbe, capital of South Kwanza – Angola.
- Start of solid waste collection services in Maputo through ECOLIFE, SUMA’s company for the Mozambican market.
- SUMA distinguished for its work in Risk Management with the “Special Trust” award, an initiative by Açoreana Risk Management / Diário Económico Awards.
- AGIR starts operations of solid waste collection in Cidade da Praia, Cape Verde.
- SUMA’s international activity surpasses 25% of total turnover.
- VISTA Waste recognised as the “Best International Participation” in the 1st International Environment Fair in Angola.
- Launch of ECOSCÓPIO®, a new format of mobile awareness unit aimed at young people.
- Launch of ECOMACHIMBA® in Angola – a mobile awareness unit for all ages.
- Acquisition of ENVIROIL, CORREIA & CORREIA, TRANSPORLIXOS and EKOŚRODOWISKO (Poland).
- Start of activity of non-hazardous industrial waste (NHW) landfill in Lustosa, municipality of Lousada, through RIMA.
- Implementation of GiSUMA – integrated system for the consultation and edition of geographic information (georeferencing of containerisation activity and routes).
- Inauguration of the environmental education centre in Luanda, promoted by VISTA Waste, and expansion of services in Angola to the province of Benguela.
- Recognition of SUMA as “Company with Exemplary Leadership” (published in the Diário de Notícias newspaper, November 2009, under “The 1,000 Greatest Companies of 2008”).
- Start of International projects – signing of contracts in Luanda (Angola) for Solid Waste Collection, Public Cleaning and Environmental Education.
- SUMA headquarters and Aveiro Services Center accomplish triple certification in Quality, Environment and Safety − NP EN ISO 14001:2004 and NP 4397:2001 / OHSAS 18001:1999.
- Acquisition of TRIU through incorporation.
- Launch of CIDADÓMETRO® – a Mobile Awareness Unit directed to families.
- Acquisition of NOVAFLEX and subsidiaries − REAL VERDE / NOVA BEIRA.
- CITRUP’s certification extended to include Social Responsibility – Norm SA 8000.
- CITRUP awarded the EcoPME prize (award that distinguishes companies Eco-efficiency and Sustainability polices).
- Certification of SUMA headquarters and Aveiro operacional center − NP EN ISO 9001:2000.
- SUMA accredited by the Institute for Quality in Training.
- Launch of 1st Solidarity Mobile Unit – REUTILÂNDIA® (project for Reusage, Sustainability and Solidarity).
- Certification of Riba d’Ave Urban Solid Waste Treatment Station (ETRSU) – NP EN ISO 9001:2000.
- Awarded the National Environmental Innovation Award (1st place): SUMA/VLE (vehicle for washing overground and underground big dimension containers).
- Merge, by acquisition, companies STL and UTIL which expands the geographical scope of activity and consolidates leadership in Portugal.
- Reached 2 million inhabitantes milestone, served by waste collection and urban cleaning services.
- Accreditation of SUMALAB (water and waste laboratory) by NP EN ISO / IEC 17025.
- Launch of SUMA’s Mobile Training Unit in order to accomplish the annual training planning.
- Incorporation of SERURB. The synergies between the two largest national companies in the waste sector allows significant growth in dimension and in complementary capabilities.
- Release of the environmental education pioneering project – Itinerant LIXOTECA®. This project is comprised by the conversion of public transport vehicles into mobile awareness units, aimed at young audiences, mostly elementary school kids.
- Selective waste collection and cleaning of the headquarters of the Portuguese Presidency of European Union – PORTUGAL 2000.
- Implementation of an innovative and exemplary model for public cleaning – EXPO’98: 20th century last world exhibition, set in Lisbon.
- Start of the first contract for selective waste collection – Aveiro Municipality.
- The first contract for the provision of services − waste collection, including bulky waste, and public cleaning in Batalha municipality − is signed.
- SUMA – Serviços Urbanos e Meio Ambiente, S.A. (Urban Services and the Environment) is founded by Mota-Engil and Urbaser groups to meet the needs of the Portuguese waste market.
Check our key figures